Terry Cotter, BSc
- Unit 603 – 567 Lonsdale Ave, North Vancouver, BC, V7M 2G6
- (778) 847-3243, Terry@NaturalAdvantage.ca
Inclusion yields engagement and tangible results …
- Achieved breakthrough earnings growth with every team through collaborative operations planning, sales & marketing, and through motivational team leadership: Biomed International (CDA) and Terra-Medica (USA) + 270%, Integrity Mechanical + 340%, Bowen Island Pub + 300%
- Style Tags: Dependable, optimistic, innovative, entrepreneurial, flexible, loyal and social
- Past Career and Community Leadership Roles:
- President/ General Manager/ Executive Director / Business Development
- Entrepreneur/ Business Owner
- Medical/Technical Education Program Development, Facilitation & Conferences
- Hospitality Operations Manager and Project Leader
- Conference and Event Co-ordinator and MC
- Retail Chain-Store Management and Policy
- Appointed Chair: Inter-Government Policy Development Committee
- Elected Local & Regional Government Official
- NGO Board Member, Chairman and President
- Industry Association Board Member, Lobbyist, Regulatory Advocate
- Amateur Sport ‘Coach of the Year’
President – Biomed International Products (Canada) and Terra-Medica Inc. (USA) , Head Office: Burnaby, BC, 2009 to 2017
Leadership in all business functions for a natural medicine/ supplement company GMP compliant manufacturing of proprietary formulas and representing European brands of homeopathic tinctures and herbal formulas for use by Naturopathic and Integrated Medicine doctors. Reporting to an absentee owner, recruited key staff and led HR policy, collaborative marketing, e-marketing, sales management and strategy development, SOP maintenance, administration and performance management for company teams in Canada and USA. Led the medical conference and professional and public seminar event development and facilitation across North America (over 50 events) for training and network outreach. Unresolvable importation interpretations at FDA and Health Canada caused dramatic downsizing in 2017.
- Growth from a history of a 15-year break-even marginal cash flow to achieve profitable earnings of over $450,000 per year within 2 years (earnings improved by well over 500%). Gross sales growth from $2.2M to $6M (+270%) in 5 years.
- Team Leadership for: Health Canada & FDA regulatory compliance, merchandising strategy, brand and market message outreach strategy (digital, print and film shorts), Key Account relations, commission and bonus structure, technical and media script writing, organization structure, senior level recruiting, Medical CME education program curriculum development, seminar event facilitator, business negotiations and contract development, liaison to medical colleges and professional associations, optimization of accounting data to enhance decision-making capacity.
- Relationship and reputation enhancement among the principle owners and associates of 2,500 medical and specialty clinicians we serve in North America – conducted through a combination of meetings and tours at their clinics, education/conference events, and other outreach.
- International inter-company negotiation with European and Asian manufacturers as their exclusive North American product representative. Travel 6 – 10 weeks avg per annum to Europe (Germany, Switzerland, UK), Canada and US.
- Leader and Podium Host for medical conventions, workshops, seminar course facilitator, team leader for marketing, event syllabus, venue planning and deployment of these remote multi-day medical certification programs. Responsible for team completion of writing and assembly of media and resources for those events.
- On April 21, 2015, was speaker at FDA hearings in Washington DC for the FDA Homeopathic Drug Review stakeholder sessions.
- Acquired the Paracelsus Biological Medicine Certificate 2013 – a specialty medical training program co-developed for 5 years with Dr Thomas Rau MD, Medical Director of Europe’s largest naturopathic medical center: Paracelsus Clinic at Lustmuhle, Switzerland.
- Regulatory importation rulings caused downsizing in 2017.
Executive Director – British Columbia Wine Institute, Kelowna, 2008 – 2009
BC wine industry advocacy for an industry association membership representing 95% of BC VQA Grape Wine production. Re-engagement of the network of 18 owner-operated VQA Wine Store chain operations throughout BC. Leadership for Marketing Manager, Media & Communications Manager, Finance Manager, and office staff. Wine Festival Event Production and Management, Administration, Media Relations.
- Appointed by Hon. Stan Hagen, Minister of Agriculture and Lands to sit as a policy advisor on the 6-member BC Agrifood Trade Council.
- Initiatives included direct co-ordination with the principles of: Tourism BC, Tourism Vancouver, Tourism Thompson Okanagan, Minister and staff of Ministry of Tourism, Minister and staff of Ministry of Agriculture and Lands, BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch General Manager, Minister and Assistant Deputy Minister of Housing and Social Policy, BC LDB General Manager and staff, BC Agriculture Council, Wine Council of Ontario, Canadian Vintners Association, BC Wine Authority and many other government offices and NGO’s.
- Developed a new operating contract with independent owners in an 18-store provincial retail wine store chain. Transformed the combative corporate culture of this store chain into co-operative readiness to invest in re-branding.
General Manager – Integrity Mechanical Geothermal and HVAC, North Vancouver, 2005 – 2008
Restructured the management information systems and conducted operations strategic planning to empower improved productivity and profit control in the 42-staff, 18-vehicle, $6.8M Geothermal Energy and HVAC technology installation company. Developed a Staff Performance Management & Career Goal-Setting program. I left to pursue an opportunity in Kelowna.
- Change Management: This company consisted of 20-staff and 8 service vehicles with $2M sales in 2005. We moved the offices and grew to 42-staff and 15 service vehicles supporting $6.8M of sales (+340%). Conducted successful change management through proactive policy development.
- Development of policy guidelines for AR, AP, Payroll, CRA contact for GST and Corporate Taxes, PST and WCB contact, production scheduling, employee relations and policy, recruiting, estimating tools, quote templates, heat loss calculations, project sales and development of company sales policy, key account management, contracts, warranty, project planning and monitoring, progress review, purchasing, fleet management, equipment purchase, commercial lease negotiation, office network maintenance, Microsoft Office trainer and customer relations.
CEO and President – Cotter Entertainment Inc., 1995 – 05
Owner and operator of Bowen Island Neighborhood Pub & Retail Beer and Wine Store. Hospitality F&B management, staff supervision and training for a dynamic team of 2 managers and 16 line staff. Built a new Liquor Store including: licensing process, budget, POS programming and store layout, hands-on construction, security plan, desktop graphics design work for all advertising, media releases, marketing campaigns. Sold the business.
- Featured on the cover story of PUBLICAN industry magazine November 2002
- Achieved a record sales volume on Day 1 through effective special event promotion.
- A 300% sales increase within 24 months.
- Production for over 400 live stage shows and public events (music, theme parties, community and theatrical events).
- Provincial government regulatory advocacy on behalf of the hospitality industry.
Operations Manager and Project Leader – Dairyland Foods Ltd., Burnaby, 1988 – 1995
Head Office Operations and Project Management under CEO Mr David E. Coe, and Provincial Director of Operations Mr Bob Fowler. Team Leadership and supervision for operations, labour, logistics, organization structure and warehouse implementation for this $1.2B national manufacturing and food processing company. Leadership, recruiting, training, mentoring and supervision for 5 sub-departments. Left to pursue a business opportunity.
- Outstanding Speaker Award (conference event), Sales Instructor (on Video), Top 10 Sales Award in consecutive years.
- Managed 125 Teamster employees ($7M payroll), 7 exempt supervisors and 4 shift foremen in 5 departments at the Head Office hub of the 25 branch BC distribution network. Activity included warehousing, shipping, receiving, inter-branch distribution, external LTL co-ordination and customer relations.
- Production forecasting for 220 SKU’s to supply the BC fresh food distribution network.
- Appointed Project Leader for one of Western Canada’s first computerized warehouse installations. Led a 10-month interdisciplinary planning and deployment process which transformed the inter-department culture at the 1,200 employee Head Office.
Other Employment Engagements: during university studies and other part-time
Double Eagle Boats- fibreglass boat manufacturing, outfitting
Wometco (Coca-Cola Bottlers) – shipper/receiver, forklift operator, cranes, packaging line
Canadian Kenworth Trucks – partsman, warehouseman, forklift operator, receiving, shipping
Dominion Construction – structural steel fabrication, welding, bending, threading, drill press
Vancouver Planetarium – observatory telescope operator, museum tour guide, usher and cashier
Simon Fraser University – gas chromatography technician and research associate
Construction/Renovation – handyman framing, flooring, drywall, electrical, plumbing.
Community and Industry Association Leadership…
Minister Appointee – Agrifood Trade Council, BC Ministry of Agriculture, 2008
Appointed by Hon. Stan Hagen, Minister of Agriculture and Lands, to sit on the Minister`s advisory committee with 6 other appointees.
Region Appointee – Coastal Community Ferry Advisory Committee , 2006 to 2008
Appointed by the Bowen Island Municipal Government as their community representative to a committee serving Hon. Kevin Falcon, Minister of Transportation. Radio interviews, press releases. Collaboration with BC Ferries CEO David Hahn, BC Ferries Commissioner Martin Crilly.
Municipal Councillor – Bowen Island Municipality elected official 2002 – 2005
Council member in this lower mainland community of 4,000 pop. Regular review of aboriginal treaty implications for local and regional government (LMTAC) planning and services. Facilitator of many public meetings and forums. Interviews, press releases. Appointed by council to act as negotiator for establishment of new local public amenities in partnership with Regional and Provincial governments: collaborating with Minister Stan Hagen, Minister Kevin Falcon, Minister Pat Bell, Minister George Abbott, Metro CAO Johnny Carline.
Metro Vancouver Finance Committee 2002 – 2005
Appointed by the Chair of the Metro Vancouver Regional Government Board. Fiscal policy review of regional initiatives and 3P projects ($1B transportation capital plans)
Metro Vancouver Regional Parks Committee 2002 – 2005
Appointed by the Chair of the Metro Vancouver Regional Government Board. Review of regional park strategy, revenue and development initiatives. Appointed by the committee to represent Metro Vancouver at the Illinois International Regional Park Services Conference.
Bowen Island Chamber of Commerce President 1997 – 2002
Small business advocacy, education and networking. Collaboration with BC Chamber of Commerce
Canadian Health Food Association – 2009 – 2017
Regulatory advocacy to Health Canada NNHPD and elected officials, member education programs
Canadian Homeopathic Pharmaceutical Association – 2010 – 2017
Regulatory advocacy to Health Canada NNHPD, industry and practitioner networking for issues.
Industry Association Region Director and Board Member – BC Beverage Alcohol Association 1995 – 2000
This provincial association engaged in regulatory advocacy/ lobbying to the legislators and BC Liquor Control Board on behalf of licensees. I represented licensees in Sunshine Coast and North Vancouver.
Chairman – Governance Restructure Committee 1999
Appointed by unanimous recommendation of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, Islands Trust Government, regional and local stakeholders to chair a challenging and controversial 10 month study of governance options for Bowen Island. Podium host of several Town Hall meetings and forums. A community referendum resulted in the establishment of the first Island Municipality in British Columbia.
Education & Interests…
Bachelor of Science – Simon Fraser University (marine science, histology, computing, microbiology, aquaculture, parasitology, entomology)
Recipient: Technology Innovation Award 2013 – by Western Canada Sage/Accpac Group in recognition of our progressive adoption and innovative implementation of ERP, Sage CRM, training investments and application for sales/service fulfilment systems in an internal logistics upgrade.
Vancouver & Burnaby Board of Trade Workshops 2016: utilizing social media, e-campaigning, HR best practises updates. Past member for 8 years.
Leadership Immersion Workshop Grid International Ltd.
Labour Relations/Supervision Immersion Workshop – Sterling Group Consultants
Member, Vancouver Board of Trade – Topical Business Seminars
BC Institute of Technology
Accounting I & II ; Data Processing IBM ; Administrative Management ; Marketing ; Labour Relations I & II ; Productivity Management ; Organizational Behaviour
North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce – member for 2 years. Seminars and workshops
Burnaby Board of Trade – member for 5 years
BC Chamber of Commerce – past member
Foodsafe Licensee Certificate – HACCP
Licensee Serving It Right – responsible beverage service certificate for licensees
PADI Advanced Open Water SCUBA
Sage Accpac ERP & CRM
Webex Conferencing – for team meetings and product education webinars
Microsoft Office Suite / Corel Graphics – proficient user and teacher for applications programming
Simply Accounting and Quickbooks Accounting
Amateur Soccer – player/coach on lower mainland men’s teams (25 yrs), coaching children’s teams for West Vancouver Soccer Association
Men’s Fastball – 2010 ‘Coach of the Year’ in Men’s Baseball, 2nd Place Batting Champion 2010 Men’s Baseball, Home Run Champion 2003, player/ manager and coach for men’s fast-pitch baseball, also Girls Softball League coach.
Member, Vice President – North Shore Chorus – amateur singing with a 50 member ensemble
Pastimes – perpetual learning, soccer, golf, baseball, choral singing, live music, volleyball, building, boating, fitness.